PU stands for polyurethane, which is a hard, strong, and stretchable polymer used as paints and coatings as protection covers. A polyurethane coating is a protection cover. Here we are going to discuss the Most Frequently Asked Questions about PU Paint and PU Polish. If you have any other questions other than these, please do let us know via email below, we would be happy to answer personally.
What is PU coating and Why do polishers apply it on wood or metal?
PU paint and PU Polish is the premium range of wood coatings and it provides a smooth and luxurious finish to the wooden and metallic surface. PU coatings have high resistance against heat, excellent hardness, in-depth clarity, and corrosion resistance. The PU coating prevents the furniture from moisture, scratches, dust, water, UV rays, and weathering, and provides a beautiful look to the wooden furniture.
When everyone wants to give a luxurious finish to their wooden furniture and to protect them from scratches and stains. PU coating is one of the best options for it.
Types of PU Coating
There are two types of PU Coating. Those are
PU Paint (Pigment/Opaque Finish): It is easy to understand by the name of this coating in which a colour topcoat. The base and natural colour of wood can’t be visible. One can pick any colour for its topcoat. PU coating finishes come in matte and High Gloss. Interior Designers and Architects use it for indoor furniture. Its Gloss finish is very popular in the interior and architecture as “High Gloss Paint”.
PU Polish (Clear/Translucent): PU Polish is popular in residential services. PU polish coating is clear on surface but in liquid form, it is translucent (not 100% transparent). The base material or surface of the product is visible. By choosing either a matte polish or a gloss, you can alter the natural shade of the material. Though the material’s surface would be visible, it would be either glossy or matte. It is good to use on interior and exterior wooden surfaces. PU Polish’s Gloss finish is very popular as “High Gloss Polish“.
Difference Between PU Paint & PU Polish
Since PU Paint and PU Polish, are almost the same in composition and use for the same purpose but still, there are some differences between them. The differences are
- Appearance: PU polish coating is a clear coating. The base material or surface of the product is visible. By choosing either a matte polish or a gloss, you can alter the natural shade of the material. Though the material’s surface would be visible, it would be either glossy or matte.
In PU paints, the coating is opaque which means that the base material is not at all visible. It is covered with the colour paint of your selection. The appearance of glossy colour or matte look is based completely on your preferences. The texture of the material gets a completely different yet durable look.
- Change of product: The coating process of PU Paint and PU Polish is the same but there is a slight change in the product use while the coating process. Because PU Paint is pigment Coating, the applicator uses a white colour sealer for the base coat. PU Polish is a clear coating (translucent), the applicator uses a clear sealer for the base coat.
- Material and Service Cost Price: PU Paint and PU Polish material is easily available in the market but PU Paint’s material is costly than PU Polish. And it is because of the extra colourants that get added in PU Paint. Also, the service cost of PU paint is higher than PU Polish.
- Final Finish: In the case of the polish, the item becomes more radiant. It protects from scratching and external damage. The wood becomes moisture resistant and is softer and protected from hairline cracks. The paint application is easy and time-saving as compared to wooden polish. The furniture finalized with paint will be more washable and safe for frequent cleaning. The finished item will be more durable, stain-resistant, and tough.
- Maintenance: Paint surfaces are easier to clean and have more life than polished furniture. All you need to do is wipe off the dust with a dry cloth or accordingly use a moist cloth to clean. Though a polished surface may be easy to clean when exposed to the sun, they get damaged and require repolishing after a couple of years. Also vulnerable when it comes to contact with liquids.
Differences between Matte Finish and Gloss Finish of PU Coating
PU Paint and PU Polish can be either Matte or Gloss Finish but both finishes have many other differences. Those differences are:
- Sanding: Both matte, as well as gloss jobs of paint and polish, require sanding. A glossy surface is smoother and shinier than matte ones. The matte look is a bit light-absorbing and grainy. Therefore sanding is done with much more detailing in glosses than regular matte. Though smooth finishing is necessary for both but with different quality.
- Buffing: Buffing is important in glossy paint/polish work as it smoothens the surface and increases the reflectivity of the material. In matte work, buffing is not at all recommended.
- Service Cost: Because buffing is compulsory in Gloss finish thus the service cost of Gloss finish (PU Paints and PU Polish) is higher than the Matte finish. Buffing needs very hard work and it is a time taking process, thus it impacts the service cost a lot.
- Maintenance: Gloss surface needs extra care and maintenance as compared to the matte. Gloss finish is popular because of its shiny surface and any dust or particle can be easily seen on it.
Similarities between PU Paint and PU Polish
The similarities between PU Paint and PU Polish are:
- Composition: PU paint and PU Polish come as either a mono-component or bi-component product. At Home Glazer, we use two components resin and catalyst (2K PU). The PU paint is either water-based or solvent-based (thinner base).
- Solvent-based and water-based: PU Paint and PU Polish both come in Solvent-based and water-based.
- Good for the exterior: PU Paint and Polish can be very hard and strong, providing exceptional wear resistance to the surface. PU Paint and PU Polish both are good for the exterior.
- Matte and Gloss Finish: Both paints and polishes can give you a matte as well as a glossy finish based on your requirements. The glossy finish is reflective and shinier than the matte ones. Matte is comparatively dull yet light-absorbing.
PU Coating are good for the Exterior
PU Paint and PU Polish coatings have polymers. They can be very hard and strong, providing exceptional wear resistance to the surface. PU Paint and PU Polish both are good for the exterior wood. But we advise the matte finish of PU coating for exterior considering Gloss finish will reflect the sunlight in your neighbour’s house.
PU Coating are Flammable
Yes, PU coatings are flammable. But PU coatings provide a layer of polymer on the material’s surface, which does not melt when heated but in direct contact with fire it is flammable. But can be used for some situations where combustion is the same as the environment or a bit extra. PU Paint and PU Polish can be used for the kitchen’s cabinet and cupboard but it must ensure there is sufficient distance (at least 2ft. or more) between stove and cabinet.
Buffing and its role in PU Coating
Buffing is a process wherein the painter removes the excess material and imperfection by wet sanding from emery paper of girt 1000 and then 1500, 2000, 3000, and at last with 5000. And to increase the gloss and remove the fine line created by wet sanding, a special rotating cloth wheel buffing machine and buffing paste come into use. It is good for both PU Paint and PU Polish.
For a High Gloss finish, buffing is very important. For a super smooth and high gloss finish buffing is necessary as it gives an eye-catchy and shiny look to any furniture. Buffing will take an extra amount.
The coating process of PU Paint on MDF
PU coating process needs a lot of hard work and time. PU gives a luxurious look to furniture but follows all the steps written below.
- Dent Filling: Before starting the coating process it is very important to make the perfect base for the topcoat. It is good to check the dents and crack on the surface if there is any. Fill it with dent filler or wood filler.
- Sanding: Once the filling got dry, use sandpaper of grit 180 or 200 to remove the excess filling.
- 1 coat white sealer: Mix the white sealer with hardener and thinner in the ratio of 2:1 and apply 1 coat of white sealer with a spray gun and leave it for 10 to 12 hours to dry.
- Check Necessary Repair: Check the necessary repair and fill it with polyester putty. Polyester putty dries very fast, within 15 to 30 it will be ready to work upon.
- Dry sanding with Orbit sander machine: Use sanding disc of grit 400 and sand the surface with any random orbiter sander machine. While sanding the person using the machine must ensure that after this sanding no uneven surface should be there.
- 2nd coat of White sealer: Apply the second coat of white sealer with sealer in the same ratio of 2:1 and leave 10-12 hours to dry.
- 1 Coat PU Paint: Sand the surface again with the orbit sender machine with a disc of grit 400 and clean the surface with a soft cloth. Mix the PU Paint with hardener and PU thinner in a ratio of 2:1. Apply the first coat of PU Paint with a spray gun and leave it for the next 24 hours to dry.
- Wet sanding: After the first coat of PU Paint, do the wet sanding of the surface with emery paper of grit 1000. This wet sanding removes the excess material and creates a smooth base for the final coat.
- Final coat: After wet sanding apply the second coat of PU Paint with a spray gun and leave it for atleast 36 hours to dry.
- Buffing: Buffing is optional, but we at Home Glazer advise buffing for a Gloss finish. For Matte finish, buffing is not advisable.
Safety measures to keep in mind while applying PU Paint or PU Polish
PU paint and PU Polish contain flammable counts and chemicals that can be dangerous for your skin as well as the respiratory tract. Therefore, before the application of paint, take care of the basic details:
- Do Mixing and other relevant activities in well-ventilated areas.
- A skilled, experienced, and professional worker should do the coating process.
- Cover yourself with proper clothes and covers. Take care of delicate parts like eyes, nose, mouth, and hair.
- Remove the paint spots from your skin with suitable removing agents.
- Use protection equipment like caps, gloves, masks, etc.
- In case of skin contact, wash with plenty of water
- Seek medical help with irritation.
- Keep children away from the coating room
Life expectancy of PU Polish or PU Paint furniture
PU coating is long-lasting. With good maintenance and care, PU paint or PU Polish furniture will last more than 15 years.
How Much time does it take to complete the PU Paint or PU Polish project?
The estimated time for PU Paint or PU Polish project depends on the nature and size of the project. But a medium or small project can take 10 to 15 days to complete.
Good brands in manufacturing good quality PU Paint and PU Polish material
Sirca Coating, Asian Paints, Kapci Coating, Woodver, ICA Coating, and MRF Vapocure Paints, are some of the good manufacturers of PU Paint and PU Polish. And At Home Glazer, we all brand PU paint and PU Polish material (as per the client’s preference).
PU Paint and PU Polish are of premium wood finish for furniture as PU Paint gives you unlimited colour choice and PU Polish enhances the overall beauty of your door and trims. To obtain quality and satisfactory results, hire Home Glazer’s wood polishers only. There are so many processes to follow, thus it will take time to get the best result. PU Paint and PU Polish provide resistance from heat, water, scratches, and stain. PU coated furniture looks good with the interior. Home Glazer assures you that your home will look modern and luxurious if you have PU painted or polished furniture in your home. If you are looking for someone who can get you the quality finish for your PU coating project, Contact us today!
- Some details about ICA PU paints & PU Polish – Italian Wood FinishIn the premium wood coating segment, ICA Pidilite brings to you a world-class range of wood coating …
- Some Details About Sirca PU Paint & PU Polish – Your Italian AutographNature-inspired high-quality coatings – Sirca, a prominent market participant in the sector of Paints & Coatings, has …
- Some Valuable Points to Consider Over Price in Wood Polish Quotation.Wood polishing can make the wooden furniture or doors that have been bought a long time ago …
- Advantages of PU Polish Over Melamine Polish & Other Wood PolishesThe need for polishing wooden furniture and doors is when the wood looks old due to wear …
- Points To Look For In A Wood Polish Contractor While HiringRevamping the old furniture or wooden pieces in the home and giving them an admiringly new look …
- Reasons to Choose PU Paint Over DUCO PaintEveryone wants their furniture to have a beautiful feel to it while still being protected from scratches …
- 6 Benefits of Home Glazer wood polishers over local wood polishersEveryone dreams of a home imbued with loads of sweetness and comfort. The alluring appearance and comfort …
- Know All About Polyester Polish | Polyester Coating & Buffing ProcessA blend of art and science – is what you can call ‘wood polishing.’ The wood polish …