PU paint and PU Polish are the premium wood polishes that give a fine and high-quality polish finish to metallic and wooden surfaces. They offer resistance against heat, hardness, inside lucidity, and corrosion. The PU coating in the form of paint and polish keeps the furniture protected from dampness, scratches, dust, UV beams, and gives an excellent finishing look to the wooden furnishings. PU Polish coatings and PU Paints have polymers structure. They are hard and solid, giving extraordinary wear protection for the surface. PU Paint and PU Polish both are useful for the proper life of the exterior. The application process for PU polish and PU paints is a difficult job that needs perfection, time, and experienced wood polishers. There is no doubt that PU coating gives premium looks. Below are the steps for PU Coating Process
Steps to follow for a good finish of PU Paint on MDF/HDHMR
Gouge Filling: Before beginning the PU paint procedure it is essential to make the ideal base for the topcoat. Check for any marks and dents on the surface. Fill it with good-quality wood fillers. Wood fillers can be easily available from any paint store. Wood fillers come with a medium shrinking ratio and that’s wood polishers at Home Glazer do this process two times.
Sanding: After the filling gets dry use sandpaper of coarseness 180 or 200 to expel the overabundance of filling.
1st Coat of White PU Sealer:. Mix the white PU sealer with its hardener and thinner in the proportion suggested by the manufacturing brand (Every PU manufacturer has its own mixing ratio) and apply 1 layer of white PU sealer with a spray gun and allow it to dry for at least 4 hours.
Check for the Necessary Repair: Check for the essential fix repairs and fill it with polyester putty. Polyester putty dries quickly. Within 15 to 30 minutes it will be ready to work upon. Polyester putty has better adhesion and a low shrinkage ratio as compared to wood fillers.
Dry sanding with the help of the Orbit sander machine:. Use a sanding plate of coarseness 400 and sand the surface with any irregular orbiter sander machine. During the process of sanding the individual utilizing an orbit sanding machine must guarantee that after the sanding surface is smooth and flat
Apply 2nd Coat of White PU Sealer:. Apply the second layer of white PU sealer with a similar proportion to the first coat of white PU sealer and leave it for at least 4 hours to dry it perfectly.
1 Coat PU Paint (Selected Colour):. The sanding process is again done with the orbit sander machine that has a coarseness of around 400 and cleanses the surface with a delicate fabric. Pick the best PU colour shades for your wooden furnishings. Blend the PU Paint resin with its hardener and thinner in the suggested proportion by the manufacturer. After this let the skilled wood polisher apply the first primary layer of PU paint coating with a spray gun and leave it to dry for at least 12 hours.
Final process:. It includes the wet sanding with the emery paper of grit 600 which removes excess material and makes the surface for finishing. Later apply the second coat of the PU paint in the same ratio as in the first coat and this time let it dry for 24 hours. The furniture turns into a piece of your home after it is in colour shading coordinating to your insides.
Buffing (Recommended only for high-gloss finish):. The buffing process is an important step in order to achieve the High Gloss Finish of PU Polish. The buffing process is used to clean and polish the final surface. It removes any blemishes, spray granules, and scratches and produces a smooth, shiny finish. Some different buffing creams and wheel pads get used for this purpose, each of which has its own set of benefits and drawbacks if not used correctly.
Steps to follow for a good finish of PU Polish
Sanding of wooden surface: The first and significant advance to begin PU polishing is through sanding. It is essential for each surface of the wooden furnishings. Since it is the initial step after furniture assembling, sandpaper with greater granules is required to chip away any irregularity and smoother the surface perfectly. This sandpaper assists with giving a smooth completion to the surface and unpleasant edges of the wood or veneer.
Filling the pinholes and joints:. After sanding is done little open pores, cut surfaces, and different openings that appeared during the creation of furniture need to be filled up. These filling materials of PU polish are effectively accessible in the market from different brands. After choosing the best, apply it to the joints of furniture first which is the preeminent necessity. Afterward, little openings and the spot of nails that are utilized for fitting, are topped off and concealed well.
Staining:. Once fillers are dry, rub the sandpaper with littler granules to get an even smoother surface to get the fine finishing. Staining wood is a process that can add desirable colour or shades to wood. If you wish to change the shade bit darker then staining is necessary. There are many types of wood stains available on the market. The surface of the wood must be clean and free of dirt, dust, grease, and other contaminants. To adhere stain correctly, the surface should be dust-free.
Apply first coat of Clear Sanding Sealer: Sanding sealer is very important as they are prominent in PU polish. Before applying the sanding sealing you need to make sure that all the sanding process is done. Mix the Clear PU sealer with its hardener and thinner in the proportion suggested by the manufacturing brand (Every PU manufacturer has their own mixing ratio) apply 1 layer of clear PU sealer with a spray gun and allow it to dry for at least 4 hours.
Dry sanding with the help of the Orbit sander machine:. Use a sanding plate of coarseness 400 and sand the surface with any irregular orbiter sander machine. During the process of sanding the individual utilizing an orbit sanding machine must guarantee that after the sanding surface is smooth and flat.
Apply 2nd Coat of White PU Sealer:. Apply the second layer of Clear PU sealer with a similar proportion to the first coat of Clear PU sealer and leave it for at least 4 hours to dry it perfectly.
1st Coat of Clear PU Top Coat: The last step is to apply the Clear PU Top Coat. The Clear PU Top Coat generally comes in two segments that are hardener and resins. They are well-blended in a proper proportional arrangement to build up an ideal covering material and must be utilized within 8 hours of readiness. Apply this Clear PU Top Coat coating through a spray gun that has an attached compressor. Only an expert wood polisher should do this as it is the most important task which requires perfection.
Final Coat of Clear PU Top Coat: For a decent gloss, re-covering of Clear PU Top Coat is necessary. However, before that, the principal coat needs to dry well (at least 6 hours). After it is dry, use the finer granule waterproof sandpaper for the sanding process. It smoothens the surface which gets unpleasant after the primary PU polish. Later apply the second coat of the Clear PU Top Coat in the same ratio as in the first coat and this time let it dry for 24 hours.
Buffing (Recommended only for high-gloss finish):. The buffing process is an important step in order to achieve the High Gloss Finish of PU Polish. The buffing process is to clean and polish the final surface. It removes any blemishes, spray granules, and scratches and produces a smooth, shiny finish. Some different buffing creams and wheel pads get used for this purpose. Each of which has its own set of benefits and drawbacks if not used correctly.
Point to keep in mind during the application process
PU paint and PU Polish contain combustible and synthetic compounds that are hazardous to the skin and even can cause respiratory problems. Hence, before the utilization of paint and the polish, deal with the fundamental subtleties:
- Blending, spraying and related exercises need to be done in well-ventilated regions.
- An experienced and proficient person must do the coating procedure with a spray gun as it requires perfection.
- Wear proper PPE that includes gloves, cap, and cover parts like eyes, nose, mouth, and hair.
- Expel the paint spots from your skin with appropriate removers.
- In the event of skin contact, wash with a lot of water and consult a doctor.
- Keep Kids away from these PU paints and PU polish materials.
There are a few key things to remember when buffing:
1. Always use the correct buffing pad and cream for the job.
2. Use a light touch, and keep the buffer moving.
3. Buff in a circular motion, starting at the center of the surface and working your way out.
4. Apply even pressure for even results.
5. If the surface is dirty or oily, clean it before buffing.
- What is DUCO Paint? DUCO Paint Coating Service Process | Duco paintDuco paint is a premium quality air drying paint, which is ideal for all types of metal and wood …
- Difference between Duco Paint and PU Paint | Differences & LimitationsWhat is Duco Paint? Duco paint works as a finishing element over the wooden furniture during the making and …
- 9 Perfect Shades for Wood Polish on Interior FurnitureIf you have chosen wooden furniture for your home or office space, then no one can deny that you …
- Melamine Polish Coating Process | Benefits of Melamine PolishMelamine polish for wooden furniture is most trending these days because it gives a superior and durable shine that …
- Difference between PU Polish & Polyester Polish | PU Polish vs. Polyester PolishWood furniture enhances the decor of a home and it can do so much to your home. Nowadays, many …
- Steps to Restore Wooden Furniture | Furniture Repairing ProcessWe all have that one piece of furniture that means a lot to us. It may be an heirloom …
- Similarities & Differences between Duco Paint and PU PaintEveryone wants to give a luxurious texture to their wooden furniture and to protect them from scratches and stains. …
- PU Paint and PU Polish | Types, Finishes, Differences, Similarities & PricesPU stands for polyurethane, which is a hard, strong, and stretchable polymer used as paints and coatings as protection …