What is primer?
A primer is basically a coat that is applied before paint to provide extra stability, ensures better adhesion of paint, the durability of the material is increased. It is also known as a preparatory coating applied before paint coats. keeping its qualities in mind it can only be used as underneath coating not instead of paint. In practice, if we look, the porous materials like cement, wood require primer coating before painting. A primer is composed of resins, solvent, some additive agents. In some, it may also contain polyethylene.
Nobody would like to see paint peeling out in the next few months of applying paint. So why no give a dose which makes it stronger.
Do you have to prime always?
It’s not necessary to prime in all the conditions, you need to decide the surface first. The common conditions which demand the coat of primer are:
- If the surface is porous
- Drywall with skim-coat
- If your previous coat is very glossy
- In case when you switch from dark color to light color
- Some spots or stains are there on the surface
Why primer is so important?
Primer is equivalent to protection, adhesion, durability. When you are getting all these qualities in one package, why not apply it. If not, then you must be enjoying your uneven paint peels coming out while sitting on your couch. The important and the most basic function of the primer is that it gives a smoother surface for the application of paint.
Let us understand the work of primer with an example. when we dress up, we dress up with jewelry. Jewelry plays a role in enhancing the beauty as well as the grace of your carrying yourself. In the same contrast, jewelry is equivalent to primer in the field of paint. Primer after painting adheres enhances the look of the wall. Primer is a sturdy interface that creates a smoother look and consistent layer for the paint to be easily spread. The uneven look, lump on the wall, color change, brush marks, the blotchy look could be the result of the non-application of primer.
What is the role of primer on wood?
Wood a natural growing product is born to absorb a lot of moisture and also has a tendency to subject to attacks by mildew, fungi, and bacteria. Primer is a saver, protector for wood. It will prevent the wood from above detriments and give longevity to the material. One more interesting thing with wood is that it has some natural grains which when highlighted gives a phenomenal look to the eyes of the viewer. Our eyes keep on moving around it.
Concrete and masonry primer
Concrete and masonry surfaces have a diverse range, which can vary from 150 to 250 microns. This size depends on the type of sand used. The edges are very sharp which can lead to failure of paint within a few months of application. Thus, puncturing the film of the finished paint. PVC coating will serve the purpose of longevity, with less proportion of binder. The result will be a smoother surface. One important point to follow is that your primer should be Alkali Resistant. The cement which we use in concrete has some salts dissolved in it.
Role of primer on steel
Corrosion is the biggest hindrance in terms of steel. Thus, a protective layer is needed to protect it from corrosion. Primer can serve the purpose well. Apart from this specific function, it should also provide the function of filling profiles and give a mechanical key to finishing paints.
What will happen if you directly apply paint
- It may give uneven cover and a splotchy look
- You won’t get the desired color of paint
- See through will emerge
- Some brush strokes or roller strokes may appear in the final coat
- Switching of color will be difficult
- Difficult to apply light colour over dark
- The paint will not stick very well on the object
- It may take more paint than the usual because of absorbing tendency.
Thus, from the above matter, we can conclude that primer plays an essential role in binding the wall or other material with paint. Protect the material from natural worsening. Why not take a smoother road to travel instead of getting jumps leading to many other problems in the future. Primer generally comes in white colour but it may be available in other natural colours also. To basically provide a neutral surface. It is a very good idea to choose a primer coat before going for paint coating. As soon as you decide to apply primer Future sustainability is assured. You are now with a license that will protect you. We at Home Glazer can also name it a money saver pack because it will save your money in the upcoming years.
- How painters paint a room? The Professional Painting ProcessPainting by Home Glazer is a great way to give a fresh look to any space whether it’s a room, living …
- 6 simple tips to choose the right colour while painting your homeWhen you are choosing a paint colour for your home, inspiration can come from anywhere to pick the perfect one. Sometimes, you …
- Professional Painting Process | Professional Painting Contractor ApproachIt is the methodology that makes a task perfect; either the task is the manufacturing of products or any sort of …
- Melamine Polish Coating Process | Benefits of melamine polishMelamine polish for wooden furniture is most trending these days because it gives a superior and durable shine that protects the …
- Professional Painting Process | How to Paint a Room?Surroundings can totally change the mood, and add positivity and productivity to our daily lives. Changing surroundings doesn’t always refer to …
- Tips To Use a Paintbrush / Painting Brush | Painter’s adviceTurning one’s hand to painting walls of the house seems as easy as pie, doesn’t it? Painting walls are the most …