A primer is basically a coat that is applied before paint to provide extra stability, ensure better adhesion of paint, the durability of the material is increased. It is also known as a preparatory coating applied before a paint. keeping its qualities in mind it can only be used as underneath coating not instead of paint. In practice, if we look, the porous materials like cement, and wood require primer coating before painting. A primer is composed of resins, solvent, and some additive agents. In some, it may also contain polyethylene.
Nobody would like to see paint peeling out in the next few months of applying paint. So why not give a dose which makes it stronger.
Do you use a primer before painting?
It’s not necessary to use primer in all the conditions, you need to decide on the surface first. The common conditions which demand the coat of primer are:
- If the surface is porous
- Drywall with skim-coat
- If your previous coat is very glossy
- In case when you switch from dark colour to light colour
- Some spots or stains are there on the surface
Importance of primer
Primer is equivalent to protection, adhesion, and durability. When you are getting all these qualities in one package, why not apply them. If not, then you must be enjoying your uneven paint peels coming out while sitting on your couch. The important and the most basic function of the primer is that it gives a smoother surface for the application of paint.
Let us understand the work of primer with an example. when we dress up, we dress up with jewelry. Jewelry plays a role in enhancing the beauty as well as the grace of your carrying yourself. In the same contrast, jewelry is equivalent to primer in the field of paint. Primer after painting adheres enhances the look of the wall. Primer is a sturdy interface that creates a smoother look and consistent layer for the paint to be easily spread. The uneven look, lump on the wall, colour change, paintbrush marks, the blotchy look could be the result of the non-application of primer.
Role of primer on wood– wood a natural growing product is born to absorb a lot of moisture and also has a tendency to be subject to attacks by mildew, fungi, and bacteria. Primer is a saver, protector for wood. It will prevent the wood from the above detriments and give longevity to the material. One more interesting thing with wood is that it has some natural grains which when highlighted give a phenomenal look to the eyes of the viewer. Our eyes keep on moving around it.
Concrete and masonry primer- concrete and masonry surface have a diverse range, which can vary from 150 to 250 microns. This size depends on the type of sand used. The edges are very sharp which can lead to failure of paint within a few months of application. Thus, puncturing the film of the finished paint. PVC coating will serve the purpose of longevity, with less proportion of binder. The result will be a smoother surface. One important point to follow is that your primer should be Alkali Resistant. The cement which we use in concrete has some salts dissolved in it.
Role of primer on steel- corrosion is the biggest hindrance in terms of steel. Thus, a protective layer is needed to protect it from corrosion. Primer can serve the purpose well. Apart from this specific function, it should also provide the function of filling profiles and give a mechanical key to finishing paints.
When you apply paint directly, without primer
- It may give uneven cover and a splotchy look.
- You won’t get the desired colour of paint.
- See-through will emerge.
- Some brush strokes or roller strokes may appear in the final coat.
- Switching colour will be difficult.
- Difficult to apply light colour over dark.
- The paint will not stick very well on the object.
- It may take more paint than usual because of the absorbing tendency.
Thus, from the above matter, we can conclude that primer plays an essential role in binding the wall or other material with paint. There are many benefits to using a primer before painting your home. Primer can help the paint to adhere better to the surface, which can result in a longer-lasting paint job. It can also help to cover up any previous paint jobs or stains that may be on the surface and can help to reduce the amount of paint needed for the project. If you are thinking about painting your home, it is highly recommended that you use a primer first. Not only will it help the paint to look better, but it will also help to protect the surface of your home from damage.
Protect the material from natural worsening. Wise men prefer a smoother road to travel instead of getting jumps leading to many other problems in the future. Primer generally comes in white color but it may be available in other natural colors also. To basically provide a neutral surface. It is a very good idea to choose a primer coat before going for paint. As soon as you decide to apply primer future sustainability is assured. You are now with a license that will protect you. We can also name it a money saver pack because it will save your money in the upcoming years.
Primer is one of the most important steps in painting, but it’s often an overlooked step. People think that if they’re using good paint, primer isn’t necessary. But primer is actually what makes paint stick to surfaces and look good for a long time. Primer is an important part of every painting project, whether it’s for your home or office.
Home Glazer is a professional painting company. At Home Glazer, we use primer in every painting project. We always use primer in our painting projects because it helps the paint look smooth and even, and it prevents the paint from peeling or fading over time. Primer also helps create a solid base for the paint, so that the paint won’t chip or peel off over time. Our team of experienced painters can help you with all your painting needs. We offer a wide range of services, from interior painting to exterior painting. We also offer a wide range of finishes, including matte, satin, and gloss and we can work with any type of paint, including latex and oil-based paints.
Please feel free to contact us for a free painting consultation. We would be happy to discuss your painting needs and provide you with a quote.
- Difference between Asian Paint’s Ace Paint and Asian Paint’s Apex PaintAre you planning to paint your exterior walls? Are you looking up on the internet about the …
- Difference between Asian Paints Apex Paint and Apex UltimaOnce we understand that our exterior walls need paint. We get many options available on the internet …
- Difference Between Gloss Enamel Paint and Satin Enamel PaintEnamel paint can be technically understood by its content. They are readily available in many types which …
- Difference Between Water-based Enamel Paint and Oil-based Enamel PaintWe all love the blossom of freshly painted walls, especially on a special occasions. The most enjoyable …
- Effects of COVID-19 on Painting Business & Interior Designing BusinessThe beginning of the pandemic COVID-19: The painting businesses similar to others have faced a pinch in …
- Know All About Wall Putty- Importance, Types & Price of Wall PuttyEveryone wants to give a fresh look to his house. Getting the walls of the building/home painted …
- 6 Benefits of Home Glazer wood polishers over local wood polishersEveryone dreams of a home imbued with loads of sweetness and comfort. The alluring appearance and comfort …
- Advantages of PU Polish Over Melamine Polish & Other Wood PolishesThe need for polishing wooden furniture and doors is when the wood looks old due to wear …