A blend of art and science – is what you can call ‘wood finishing.’ The wood finish acts as an envelope to embellish and secure the wood by incorporating fashion and durability characteristics. The polyester polish finish will accentuate the elegance of the wood or cover up the imperfections of the wood substrate bringing out the wood’s natural beauty. The finish can be semi-opaque, giving a driftwood look and feel to the piece, or can be applied to paint the whole piece, indicating very little or no wood grain concept.
For producers of wood furniture, kitchens, office furniture, and multipurpose cabinets, wood finishing suppliers formulate, produce and service wood finishing products. Their technical knowledge and service skills help educate the producer about applying and managing the wood finish. In the manufacturing of furniture or cabinets, wood finishing is one of the last processes. With regard to their look and feel, the wood finish emphasizes the mission of the furniture and cabinets. It activates the emotional reactions of customers to the senses of sight and feeling.
The retail customer notices that the item is either attractive or unattractive. The next move is to feel and rub the finish. If the piece looks and feels fine, it produces a “take me home” signal. A nice finish on furniture or cabinets may do a lot to compensate for a mediocre design. A poor finish, by comparison, would distract from well-designed furniture and cabinets. The finish will accentuate the elegance of the wood or cover up the imperfections of the wood substrate bringing out the wood’s natural beauty. The finish can be semi-opaque, giving a driftwood look and feel to the piece, or can be applied to paint the whole piece, indicating very little or no wood grain concept.
Polyester coating – Best wood finish
A wood finish may accentuate a geographic region or historical period. In the courts in England, France, and Germany, a dark brown wood finish on cherry, oak, mahogany, and maple wood may reflect a bygone, formal age. A lighter brown finish can highlight the Mediterranean/Spanish region’s heavy and ornate design features. For some typically built cabinets or furniture, furniture and cabinets finished in a dark pine wood finish represent a spacious look. In all forests, lighter finishes produce a more ‘spacious,’ upscale look, with a country flair.
For those wishing to use the highest possible, solid wood coating and minimize or remove emissions, polyester is the best wood finish. The proportion of solids can be as high as 100% by weight and 100% by volume. Polyesters are exceptionally high in solids and have limited use because they lack versatility in applying ornate furniture and cabinets. They are hard to patch as well. In a flat-line, UV-curing roll-coat atmosphere device or a two-component spray procedure for a flat-line finishing application, polyesters are best added.
In Europe, wood finishes were created from polyester/urethane “wet look.” They also gained prominence in North America in the 1980s. As the furniture industry faced substantial competition from abroad, the industry became more market-driven and was forced to embrace the “European Wet Look” at least partially.
Polyester coating process
Step 1 – Sand the surface
This is a preparatory and one of the most overlooked steps. Yet, the importance of this step cannot be skip. The initial stages determine the final result of the finish. You need to use 220 grit paper to remove any marks, stray materials, any leftover adhesives. This process will ensure that the surface is clean and smoother for the next steps. Don’t forget to wipe off dust particles at the end of the sanding.
Step 2 – Apply a coat of epoxy illustrator.
Now we start with the process of bringing out the sheen of the veneer. In this step, the critical point is to mix the epoxy with a hardener in portions of a 1:1 ratio. Epoxy is a potent mixture that helps in exposing the color of the veneer. You can choose to apply as much solution as you want, depending on how dark you want the shade to be. Apply more for a darker shade.
Step 3 – Fill in the blanks.
Natural wood has deformities, and it is usual to have holes and dents on the surface. The same can be said about the color of those holes. Usually, they are several shades darker than the rest of the surface. It would be best if you filled those dents and holes with wood fillers matching the wood’s color. If the holes are greater than one sq. mm, fill them with polyester putty to reach even height.
Step 4 – Sand the surface again.
After carefully taking care of the deformities, you will have to sand the surface again. You might feel that this step can be skimped upon. However, sanding is paramount to achieving an even and smoother output. Sand the surface with 220 grit sandpaper and remove any dust particles from the surface.
Step 5 – Apply another layer of epoxy illustrator.
Another layer of epoxy coating needs to be applied. You can follow the same guidelines as listed out in step 2.
Step 6 – Apply polyester coating.
Now is the time to start with the polyester coating process. A room temperature reading above 20 degrees Celsius is a prerequisite before polyester application. You will have to apply multiply coats of polyester on the surface to the tune of 10-12 coatings. You will have to exhibit patience and allow a rest time of 3 to 5 minutes between layers. It would help if you gave the coating enough time to rest on the surface before applying again.
Step 7 – Post verification steps.
Any quality product always goes through a final quality check. To be confident in your polyester coating process, verify that the thickness has increased by 1mm to 1.25mm or more. The increase in thickness suggests that you have followed all the steps to the spec.
Buffing is a quintessential step.
After application of polyester, buffing is mandatory to get the needed gloss from the surface. A good suggestion is to allow 24-48 hours of rest time before starting with the buffing process. A brief on the buffing process is listed below.
- Sand the surface with 400 grit dry paper. The purpose of this step is to remove spray marks.
- Sand the surface with 600 grit dry paper to remove stains made by 400 grit dry paper.
- Sand the surface with 1000 emery paper, then 1500 emery paper, and then finally with 2000 emery paper.
– To achieve the best results, you need the best tooling. Use a good quality buffing machine.
– Grit paper and emery paper do leave marks on the surface. Use supercut liquid rubbing with wool pad twice on the surface. This first step is to remove any marks left by the preparatory steps listed before.
– To step up the surface’s shiny gloss, you need to use easy polish with lamb’s wool pad once. This step will bring about the glossiest finish on the surface.
– Finally, to make the gloss sustainable, you need to apply FPTE polish with a foam pad or cotton. This will create a protective layer on the surface to save it from water, marks, or other stains.
The way ahead for Polyester coating
The changeover to a high-technology polyester and urethane finish became a challenging and expensive adventure for manufacturers – previously using mainly nitrocellulose-based products. In Europe, wood finishing processes using these unique wood finishes are enclosed in “clean-room” capital intensive conditions. They are implemented scientifically, with strict controls of execution.
For many American & Italian producers who were used to working with more tolerant and easy-to-use nitrocellulose products, the high-tech, clean-room polyester/urethane process was a “culture shock.” Finishing errors dependent on nitrocellulose can be washed away and quickly corrected. For polyester and urethane wood finishes, which are very difficult to fix, this is not the case. Method errors allowed the manufacturer to start over. Before the finish dried, edges of tables and chairs were “bumped,” causing significant quality concerns and extra expenses.
Home Glazer is a leading provider of slick polyester finishing wood. Their overall vision is to beautify properties and ultimately be a value provider to its clients. They have an illustrious background in providing wood painting services in the Delhi region. They carry over their expertise in the wood coating as well. You will find their name prominently if you are looking for the best wood coating.
We are a trusted entity in producing terrific painting results. We approach our work with a holistic view and resolve customer doubts around the process end-to-end. Thus, we strive to deliver clean and cheerful results and that too at nominal cost-effective rates.
- What is primer & Why primer is important?What is primer? A primer is basically a coat that is applied before paint to provide extra stability, ensures better adhesion of paint, the durability of the material is increased. It is also known as a preparatory coating applied before paint coats. …
- What is DUCO Paint? DUCO Paint Coating Service Process | Duco paintDuco paint is a premium quality air drying paint, which is ideal for all types of metal and wood surfaces. It dries off faster and has excellent colour retention, therefore, preferred by house painters. Its high solid content, excellent water resistance, self-leveling …
- What are the different types of wood polish and finishes for wood?Though paint and varnish are important for maximizing the durability of wooden items, yet it is vital to finish their decoration with a perfect wood polish which not only protects the coat but also provides it a long-lasting glossy texture. Major Categories …
- Steps to restore wooden furniture | Furniture repairing processA piece of wood furniture can be a work of art when it’s properly cared for but finishes sometimes get scratched, spills happen and even the highest quality wood furnishing can lose their luster after years of use. So what’s a person …
- Similarities & Differences between Duco Paint and PU PaintEveryone wants to give a luxurious texture to their wooden furniture and to protect them from scratches and stains. DUCO paint and PU paints are used for the same purpose. They have high resistance against heat, excellent hardness, in-depth clarity, and corrosion …
- PU Paint coating process and PU Polish application processPU paint and PU Polish are premium wood coatings that give a fine and high-quality finish to the metallic and wooden surface. They offer resistance against heat, hardness, inside lucidity, and corrosion. The PU covering in the form of paint and polish …